Monday, October 15, 2012

Comparing Two Different People Is Not Being Nice

Soooooo.... I went back to my maternal home town the other day for a niece's full moon party. 

It was like the first time I got to parade my slimmer self to my maternal relatives. I was happy being compliments and encouragement to loose more weight. I was obese few months back and recently able to loose a lot of unnecessary kilos. I am still overweight according to my Body Mass Index (BMI). But able to turn from an obese beast to overweight troll is enough to make me happy. 

Of course there are no words of hate or undermine are being thrown on me. But there was one voiced out that my body is nice enough and there is no need to loose more. I am flattered by the comments but insisted that my doctor told me to loose more to a healthy weight. Having an unflattering family medical history force me to determine and follow my doctor's order. But when the voice start say "macam si...". In a sense, the voice was comparing me to another person. DING! an off-switch was pushed at the back of my mind and I stop listening. But kept that smile, which I know for sure didn't reach my eyes.

I am not angry or hating the voice as the voice is actually one of the person I love. I just can't help to wonder why does people like to compare a person to another one? I understand if I were to be compared to my twin, which I don't have either, but being compared to another person actually hurt...... a lot. 

The other person and I have different body and body types, different face and facial structure, different height and skin tone, different name and parents, etc. But we are related and are very close with each other. She is a beautiful woman, not graceful but very fun to be with and extremely good with my dark humor. I was flattered that the voice choose her as a comparison subject but still, the twitching in my achy heart continued.

Since young, I live my life hearing things like:-
- you should be more like her/im.
- dress nicely and girly like her.
- you look better with long/short hair. Like her/im.
- your skin are just darker than her/im.
- you should treat your skin like cashmere. Like she does.
- wear makeup like her.
- you should go to a nice U/college. Like her/im

and it goes on and on and on.....

Can't we live our life like the way we want, live like how we want and have our own path of life instead of 'like her/im'?

Can't we just stop the comparison for a day and live a life without scrutinizing pressure?

Nope! We will always live in a society where we would be compared to a relative, brothers, sisters, friends, celebrities or even strangers.

Oh people who have been complicating my path of life, can't you just make this little world of your opinionated space around me a little simpler? I am such a blonde, I can't understand if you are being sarcastic, nice of just plain meanie moe.

The voice was being nice with her compliments and telling me to stop dieting. I know she don't want me to get overboard with my diets. I get that. And I also get that she did not aware that comparing a person to another one is actually not nice. But whatever.... I'm over it already. 

Life is much better when you stop thinking of the negative and blog about it. At least for me lah~

Did you now?
Rumah Terbalik Sabah or Upside Down House of Sabah
is the first of its kind in Malaysia and currently is a popular tourist destination!
Take that skyscrapers!
- JV

No comments:

Post a Comment