Thursday, October 18, 2012

DaeHan MinGuk - Republic of Korea - South Korea

Call me ignorant and stupid, it is the truth that I did not know what "Korea" was before Winter Sonata broadcasted on the TV. I am such a weakling about geography in high school and eventually dropped the subject in my study for SPM. I can't say that I am a big fan of the Kpop or the Korean Wave in general, nor do I held hateful feelings or dislike them either. I watch Korean movies, dramas as well as loving some K-songs.

For a non-Hallyu (Korean Wave/韓流) effected human being, I would say that I knew quite a bit of Korean and Kpop. Though I am not I am not a fan of KimChi, I like and have no problem with the Korean Wave Phenomenon and open with any pop-cultures. In fact, I would love to have an opportunity for a visit to Korea. Mom have gone there last year and she said no rubbish but great things about the country, well that excludes the hate she has on the smell of Ginseng.

I understand that Kpop is the IT thing for this era, just like Jpop was for me on the 90-ies. However, I don't like it when younger generation  of ours or any of my peers apply on the Korean culture while forgetting/abandoning their own. I don't have problem when anyone loving Korean drama/movies, Kpop, F&B, fashion and their whole culture. But I find it uncomfortable when I see this generation idolize the whole culture and forgetting their own or never even care to learn of their own culture beforehand.

With that been said though, I have an absolute disliking toward people who say they hate Kpop and Korean Wave in general. Most of them who hate Korean Wave phenomenon are not really do any research about Kpop industry before hating them. That is judging guys. Some of those Kpop haters would say how those Korean celebs have plastic surgery to look good, super skinny and skinnier than the Hollywood actress, look fake, irritating songs, indecent MVs, unreasonable story/drama/film plot, etc. Plastic surgery, fillers, beauty injections, blah blah blah. Pooooodah-laaah. You think those angmoh don't have injection aaah? No silicone stucked on their nose bridge kah? They are all the same, dude... bleach the hair, lips filler, reduce ribs so the waist curve deeper, etc. Even Malaysian artists also have collagen injection to reduce what they want to reduce and enhance what they want to enhance. Want natural beauty? Let's go and dive at Pulau Sipadan to see the coral island. Even my photo also not natural beauty. I put make-up to hide hideous marks and enhance what I like. Then, PS it with Piknik or Adobe PS to touch-up visible blemishes' shadows, whiten the white eyes and teeth and then airbrush the skin so it looks smooth.

The popularity and the rapid growth of the Korean Wave is absolutely admirable. Korean Wave hits Malaysia when Winter Sonata and followed by Autummn In My Heart were broadcast. If Malaysian in the 90-ies watch Bollywood movies to shed tears as Shahruk Khan's character was dying or crying, the Millennium Malaysian shed tears by watching the pitiful hero/ine while hating (and admiring) the beautiful but spiteful antagonist characters in Korean Dramas.

Dear Korean Wave haters, go Google and search "Yoo Jae Suk" or "Yoo Jae Suk no glasses". Tell me, is he handsome? When I first knew him through Running Man, I would never thought this person could be such a smashing figure in the Korean entertainment industry. He is an emcee/TV show host/presenter and known as the Nation Emcee/Grasshopper aka Mentugi/. My conclusion through Jae Suk popularity is that Korean believes talent than just a pretty face, just like the rest of the world do.

I may not be the biggest fan for Korean Wave and Korean culture, I certainly am a fan of Korean Soju. Get out VODKA! Salve mi cara, soju!! 

P/s: Beware carbs hater! Soju is full of carbs and can be too sweet for your liking.

Did you know?
Two-thirds of Korean land is forested.
That includes the Korean mainland and 3000 of its islands.
Now that is another fact to be admired at GREEN LOVER!
- JV

No comments:

Post a Comment