Friday, January 25, 2013

DIET 101 - PART V : Vegetarianism



Note: I have divided this topic into several chapters and will be posted out every Friday!!

------------------------------
DISCLAIMER: I am, in NO WAY, encouraging people to not exercise, use the method I recommend here or follow what I do to loose weight. I am only sharing my experience & some tips how I loose my weight. These tips & tricks of dieting is what I am comfortable with and happens to suit me and my lifestyle. However, be reminded that what is good for me might not be for you and like wise. Please refer to your doctor, nutritionist and any health experts to discuss what kind of DIET will suit you and your lifestyle. I am not a doctor or a medical expert. Health risk that obese people could face may or may not be revealed in posts regarding with this subject. I may or may not be wrong in my explanation, so I suggest everyone who read this to refer to your doctor or any nearest medical expert to verify this. Readers discretion is highly advised.
------------------------------

There a lot of diet types that may or may not help you. Therefore, nutritionist will always repeat the phrase "choose the diet that suits your lifestyle". I know most of you understand what that mean but unable to understand how to choose. It is always advisable to understand before making your decision regarding diet. I will be delighted to bring you through the journey of understanding each diet that have been glamorized by the media.

1. Vegetarian Diet

There are three types of vegetarian diet.
i. vegan diet, no meat and all animal product like eggs and milk.
ii. lacto-vegetarian diet, which include all plants food with dairy product.
iii. lacto-ovo vegetarian diet, which include all plants food, dairy product and eggs.
- This is a great diet plan and one can use for long-term. However, because there are lack of meat in this diet especially the vegan diet, consumers are advise to focus on protein, iron, calcium, zinc and Vit B12.

Some people found that it is hard to turn to practice vegetarianism just because they cannot live without meat. You can, actually!

Find and experiment with many vegetables to choose which kind you can tolerant with and cook with all styles of cooking.

My favorite plants food are vegetable ferns or Sayur Paku-Pakis we called it here, vegetable red ferns or Lomiding/Lombiding/Sayur Paku Merah, baby Kailan, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet leaf or Pucuk Sayur Manis and tapioca young leaves.

Seems a lot but I did not start liking them since a young age. I extremely DISLIKE them except for long beans, part of lagume family vegetables. I don't remember when I started to like eating long beans and then experimenting other vegetables throughout my growing up period. And I am blessed with a mother who can cook well with vegetables. She used garlic and oyster sauce to make the vegetables cook with delicious aroma! Nobody can beat everyone's mom's cooking!

This is a great and long-term healthy diet. Just need to make sure that you follow the basic needs of daily nutrition needs. Also, don't forget to be moderate with the oil and flavoring while cooking meal with your food!

- JV

No comments:

Post a Comment