Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Minum Petang - Afternoon Tea

As young child, my mother would usually prepare something simple but delicious treat for afternoon tea. Our tea is usually around 4-5 pm.

Mom would prepare warm Milo drink for us children and Nescafe for the adult. We would have either cookies, biscuits, deept fried keropok udang or any kuih goreng  Dad would usually join us on the weekend because he was always busy on weekdays. So afternoon tea is like the only time our family of six would gathered and enjoy the afternoon in the living room. And mom loved to sweeten the drinks and treats at the time.

As I grow up, the afternoon tea happens less and less. Probably because the parents focus the financial on proper foods rather than some unhealthy treats. Or was it because the children turns to teenagers and refuse to join the parents? Or was it because we became busy with our own agenda?
There are many reasons as to why there is no afternoon tea in the house today.

I missed the moment. Parents have there adult talks about dad's work and friends while mom talked about some updates from her side of the family. The children would enjoy afternoon cartoon like Tom&Jerry or teased (bullied actually) each other till one of them cried.

Now, my afternoon tea is in the office. I still prefer having Milo over Nescafe. But the difference is, I would not put anymore sugar. Sometimes, I'll have green tea knowing the benefits it has. I rarely eat any afternoon treats because I am trying to loose weight at the moment. (Now don't laugh and mock at me with pointing finger saying jaga badan. Memang saya jaga badan and fyi, I succeeded to loose a lot of weight by cutting down unnecessary diets.) But I do have almonds as the healthier choice for afternoon tea.

Reminiscing the childhood memories does bring back some nostalgia feelings. Life was so easy back then. I wonder what would the younger generation kids would reminiscent about when they grow up? How awesome Iphone 4S was? How s/he joined a war for a guild in WoW? Got the title Game Master? How s/he was throwing temper-tantrums coz mommy deleted his WoW char? Or how his/er Iphone 4S was thrown down to the toilet bowl by daddy because s/he refuse to join afternoon tea?

Oh the life of the 90s.

Did you know?
Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia is a term referring to a fear of the number 666.
666 originated from a biblical verse in Revelation 13:18, 
where it indicates 666 is the number of the beast. 
The number is also linked to Satan and Anti-Christ. 
Woot!?
- JV

No comments:

Post a Comment